My leadership cheatsheet
Writing down ideas and links to articles and found ressources.
Aug 05, 2018 · 610 words
Seeking the right role for an Entrepeneur
- becoming an observer instead of an active participant in your business
- Entrepreneurship is really just a fancy word for delegation
“My company felt like an unmanned car, slowly swerving into the ditch only to be pulled back — usually by me — at the last second.”
“Many CEO’s forget this and get stuck in sales, marketing, product — whatever part of the business they love — while they ignore the bigger picture. An exceptional leader builds a company that functions without them.”
- Reinforcing Culture
- Building Process
- Tracking Our Results
- Team Utilization: Do people have enough work?
- 30/60/90 Day Team Utilization: Do we have enough work coming up?
- Client Net Promoter Score: Are our clients happy?
- Team Net Promoter Score: Is our team happy?
- New Business Pipeline: How much potential new work do we have?
- Cash in Bank: How many months can we run without additional cash?
- Accounts Receivable: How much do people owe us?
- Accounts Payable: How much do we owe other people?
- Collection Effectiveness: Are people paying us on time?
- Profit Margin: Are we making money and running efficiently?
“Instead of getting stuck making the pies, I’m writing the recipes, and that lets me focus on growing and improving my business instead of trying to maintain it.”
Keep safe area - Leader eat last.
Be leader that people choose to follow (not authoritatry leader people have to follow)
“We call them leaders because they go first. We call them leaders because they take the risk before anybody else does. We call them leaders because they will choose to sacrifice so that their people may be safe and protected and so their people may gain, and when we do, the natural response is that our people will sacrifice for us. They will give us their blood and sweat and tears to see that their leader’s vision comes to life, and when we ask them, “Why would you do that? Why would you give your blood and sweat and tears for that person?” they all say the same thing: “Because they would have done it for me.” And isn’t that the organization we would all like to work in?”
- Say clearly the purpose of performance review (improve both of us, manager and employee worknig together)
- Give full sense of what to be improve (exemple, why it matters, how to do it the right way)
Notes from a conference “Jusqu’où peut-on partager le leadership - 31 mai 2018 15h30”
La vérité sur la direction
- Diriger c’est le pouvoir de faire changer les choses
- Diriger ce n’est pas les privilèges
- Remapper les types d’entreprise (rouge, orange, ambre …) et avoir une cheatsheet
- Pourquoi cherche-t-on tous la responsabilité ? Tout le monde aime avoir des responsabilité
- Mettre tout en place (contexte, moyen, vision, marge de manoeuvre) pour que chacun prenne de la responsabilité
- Looking back and ask ourself questions on business/leadership decisions : “Pourquoi et comment a-t-on acheté une table de ping-pong à l’agence”
- Transformation des leaders sinon la transformation n’a pas lieu
- Aucune décision qui impacte une personne sans la personne concernée
- Revoir les méthodes de vote, droits de véto explicite à chaque décision
- Comment gérer la documentation de tout ça …
- Knowledge management is KEY
Be careful with objectives OKR traps
- Beware of the Cobra effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_effect)
- Personal, and team Objectives should land to global objectives
- Objectives have to be shared wuth the whole team
- Doing performance reviews : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyat7wbDmLU&list=PLJnuzdCBXa_y25NpI_TM7sk9SVZF3SBSm
- The lazy leader : https://medium.com/flow/lazy-leadership-8ba19e34f959?__s=wcpbt4trg2z6y86opizz
- Leader makes you feel safe : https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_why_good_leaders_make_you_feel_safe
- Sur l’appréciation de ses propres compétences https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/supersurvivors/201806/why-incompetent-people-don-t-know-they-re-incompetent
- RH reviews 1 on 1 https://a16z.com/2012/08/30/one-on-one/
- Seeking imperfections https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi